Aussie home affordability improves: report
Market watch top headlines
December 04 2012, 5:41PM
BUY NOW, PAY OFF LATER
* Average first-home buyer loans increase by 0.8 per cent to $289,800 over September quarter.
* Mortgage affordability improved at faster pace than rent.
* Rent consumes 24.4 per cent of income during quarter.
* ACT is Australia's most affordable housing market, with NSW the most expensive.
* Median national house prices fall by 0.6 per cent to $515,669, weighed down by Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart and Canberra.
* Tasmania has nation's lowest average loan of $217,404.
(Source: Real Estate Institute of Australia).