Work resumes at Vic Autodom sites
Market watch top headlines
MELBOURNE, Nov 7 AAP
November 07 2012, 12:32AM
Work has resumed at troubled auto parts maker Autodom's Victorian sites, shoring up a supply of components to Ford.
Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) members met the company's newly-appointed receivers upon returning to work at 7am (AEDT) on Wednesday, AMWU assistant Victorian state secretary Leigh Diehm said.
Autodom Ltd's 170 Victorian workers were back at work indefinitely, he said.
But with the receivers' work just beginning, it was unclear when the group's 400 employees across Victoria and South Australia would know if their jobs were secure long term.
"The receivers have only been appointed yesterday so they've still got a hell of a lot of work to do," he told AAP.
"We're not out of the woods yet."
The receivers will look to restructure the Autodom group and may split it up into individual companies with a view to selling them, a move the union supports, Mr Diehm said.
Autodom's South Australian operations resumed on Tuesday, averting a shutdown of local car-maker Holden.
Ford and Holden have guaranteed Autodom's debts after talks with the company, its administrators and banks.
Both the car producers had faced a shutdown due to parts shortages after Autodom closed its seven factories and stood down 400 workers last week.
Upon taking charge of the group on Tuesday, receivers Keith Crawford and Rob Kirman of McGrathNicol said they were confident there would be minimal disruption to both Ford's operations in Melbourne and Holden's assembly line in Adelaide.
Mr Diehm said the administrative process could take weeks or months.
The union will meet receivers again early next week to keep them updated.
"The doors are open indefinitely at the moment, but we need to work closely with the receivers to make sure they stay open," he said.
Autodom has said a downturn in demand for new cars is to blame for its troubles.